The head of the San Cristóbal de Las Casas municipality was one of the first cities built in continental America. It is called Magical Town by the Min
The head of the San Cristóbal de Las Casas municipality was one of the first cities built in continental America. It is called Magical Town by the Ministry of Tourism, although in fact, it has the category of city.
It was the capital of the Province of Las Chiapas from the colonial period to the beginning of the period known as the Porfiriato. The powers then passed to Tuxtla Gutiérrez, causing an internal war between the two cities. This contest would be won by Tuxtla. A conflict with the same motives would be repeated at the beginning of the revolutionary stage with San Cristóbal aligned on the Porfirista side, with the future loser.
It has long been considered the Cultural Capital of the State of Chiapas, where different cultural and artistic expressions coexist. This cosmopolitan city whose population is close to 200,000 inhabitants -according to estimates from the 2005 Census- is the third in economy and population of the entity. It is the main tourist town of Chiapas and has all the services.
In May 2010, the President of the Republic was awarded the recognition of “Diversification of the Mexican Tourist Product” in the category “Meeting Tourism“, thereby consolidating itself as “the Most Magical of Magical Towns ” from Mexico. Before planning a trip for Mexico you should do a little research on Google to save your time and money that could be beneficial for your trip, so visit Airlines Gethuman and avail the best deals and offers on international flight booking.
The Captain-General and Lieutenant of Governor Diego de Mazariegos founded the Villa Real de Chiapa (of the Spanish) on March 31, 1528, after having defeated the Zoques of the northern mountains and the Chiapas, and became the capital of the province of Chiapas.
On March 1, 1535, the Villa de San Cristóbal de los Llanos was awarded a coat of arms. (Since the 19th century the current San Cristóbal de Las Casas has no longer a shield).
On July 7, 1536, it was granted the category of city and its name was changed to Ciudad Real de Chiapa.
In 1543 the Dominican friar and priest Fray Bartolomé de las Casas became the first bishop of Chiapa, and moved to Ciudad Real.
In 1577 the Mayor’s Office of Ciudad Real de Chiapa was created, and Don Juan de Meza was appointed as the first Mayor.
On September 20, 1786, the Intendance of Ciudad Real de Chiapas has created whose head was the actual city of Chiapa.
On August 28, 1821, the city of Santa María Comitán, dependent on Ciudad Real, adopted the imperial system of government of Mexico and declared itself free and independent, both from the General Captaincy of Guatemala and from Spain, and invited the other Chiapas municipalities. do the same. For this reason, after a thorough analysis of the situation of the Mexican Independence movement and the invitation of the Comitán city council, the municipal authorities of Ciudad Real declare the independence of the province of Chiapas and manage its incorporation into the nascent Mexican empire. On March 19, 1823, the Chiapas province was again independent.
On February 21, 1826, the first Chiapas University was inaugurated, the Literary and Pontifical University of Chiapas, which operated until 1872.
In 1863 the Yalmús plan was proclaimed, which was unknown to the Political Constitution of the United Mexican States.
In 1857 the Political Constitution of Chiapas of 1858 and the federal and state governments were proclaimed. That same year the guerrilla Juan Ortega attacked the city of San Cristóbal.
On May 7, 1857, the Lascanses fled to Comitán upon feeling the presence of Captain Ángel Albino Corzo and his armed forces.
On January 24, 1864, the imperialist forces were expelled from San Cristóbal.
Between Tuxtla Gutiérrez and San Cristóbal de Las Casas there was a transfer of state powers four times; the first time Joaquín Miguel Gutiérrez took them from him, to be awarded to Tuxtla in 1834, for almost a year; the second time, it ceased to be the capital of Chiapas in 1858, for three years; the third time, in 1864, for 4 years; the fourth time it ceased to be the capital definitively from 1892, by the decision of the Governor José Emilio Rabasa Estebanell.
In 1911, important farmers and landowners from San Cristóbal, in alliance with the Chamulans, organized an insurrection against Tuxtla Gutiérrez, which lasted two months, to regain the powers of the capital, failing in their struggle.
In 1915 the political headquarters disappeared and 59 free municipalities were created, being that of San Cristóbal within this first remunicipalisation with seven delegations that were San Lucas, Zinacantan, San Felipe Ecatepec, Tenejapa, San Miguel Mitontic, Huixtan, and Chanal.
Over the years, San Cristóbal de las Casas was renamed several times. In pre-Hispanic times there was a region that encompassed the current “San Cristóbal valley” and was originally called Jovel, the Mexica later called Hueyzacatlán (next to the big grass in Nahuatl) the current San Cristóbal valley. On March 31, 1528, Diego de Mazariegos, a native of Ciudad Real, Spain, founded the town of Vila Real de Chiapa in that valley. On June 21, 1529, the name was changed to Villaviciosa.
On September 11, 1531, its name was changed to Villa de San Cristóbal de los Llanos, in honor of the patron saint of the town, San Cristóbal martyr. On July 7, 1536, its name was changed to Ciudad Real de Chiapa. On July 27, 1829, the name was changed to that of Ciudad de San Cristóbal. On May 31, 1848, it was called San Cristóbal de Las Casas, in honor of Fray Bartolomé de Las Casas.
On February 13, 1934, for the umpteenth time, the name was changed to Ciudad Las Casas. On November 4, 1943, Dr. Rafael Pascacio Gamboa, at the time Governor of the State, restored his name to San Cristóbal de Las Casas.
Until a few decades ago, the municipality of San Cristóbal was called Hueyzacatlán. In colonial times people put the distinctive of the Chiapa of the Spanish. At present, some San Cristobal residents still call their town with their traditional name: Jovel. Chiapas uses the apocope Sanctis to refer to the city.
About 60% of the municipal population identifies as creoles and mestizos, even though in reality for the most part they are mestizos and retain the characteristic features of the Amerindian ethnic groups in the region. 38.98% of the municipal population is Amerindian, of which 19.24% speak their maternal dialect.
The predominant Amerindian ethnic group is the Tzotzil. San Cristóbal de Las Casas has a low rate of Amerindian marginalization, however, since the customary policy of segregation has been decreasing since the events of 1994, the discrimination that Amerindians experience on the part of the mestizo population, both in Chiapas and in the rest of the country it is far from having disappeared. Front facade of the Palacio del Ayuntamiento de San Cristóbal de Las Casas.