By touching soil, we could know the texture and structure of the soil, but cannot determine the quality and nutrients presents in the soil. Before the start of the construction of roads and buildings, it is important to know to quality and type of soil. Soil testing is done to know the behavior of soil to determine the water content in the soil and soil testing analysis determines what chemicals, nutrients, minerals are required and how much they should be applied. Soil examining is done for various reasons like for the engineering investigation, to optimize crop production, protecting the environment, and reducing operating costs.The soil testing machine used for construction purposes includes various tests like Liquid test, water content, Dry Density soils, Moisture meters, Strength measurement, Balances, Field Density, specific Gravity, Consolidation, Shear Test, Sampling equipment, Penetration test, and Beakers.
Different types of soil testing are done for the construction of buildings because the foundation of the building is depended on the soil investigation reports. The selection of the right methods and techniques to construct a building is done carefully. It is important to test the soil before the construction work to identify the problem and to resolve them. Soil testing is done at the labs or near construction sites. It becomes vital to test the soil. Here; below we will discuss the importance of soil testing:
- Suitability of location: Soil examination helps in analyzing the suitability of the soil. It informs you whether a construction project at a particular location should be accommodated or not.
- To meet the bearing capacity of soil: Soil testing determine the physical and chemical characteristics of soil, characteristics of soil vary from layer to layer, and climate or weather changes lead to change in features and quality of soil from time to time. All these changes affect the bearing capacity of the soil; a project designed for construction should be able to meet the bearing capacity of the soil.
- Determine the material: Soil testing identify the chemicals, minerals, nutrients present in the soil, which helps in the selection of material to be used for construction.
- To know the water table level and nature of soil: The safety of buildings relies on the knowledge of water content in the soil and nature of the soil like clay, loam, silt, sand. The water table level affects the humidity within the foundation of the structure. The information helps in knowing the right method and equipment’s to be used so that the building is not affected by the humidity. The nature of the soil also affects the foundation of a building. So, it’s crucial to know to maintain the reliability and safety of the building.
- Ensure Safety: Soil investigation before the construction of a building and road helps in ensuring safety and maximize the quality of the soil. Improper testing and implementation of results, can lead to failures and put in danger.
Soil testing is very essential to be done before starting the work. Methods and soil testing instruments help you to know the density, strength, compaction, contamination, and sand content of the soil. Soil investigation finds out the problems and solutions, which can save you from expenses and risks in the future.