Rydges Melbourne is undergoing a complete transformation and will reopen in Autumn 2023 positioned as a flagship property for the group.
Perfectly positioned for both business and leisure travellers, Rydges Melbourne is located in the heart of the city’s vibrant theater district and minutes from the exclusive boutiques of Collins Street, major sports venues, Emporium, Melbourne Central and Bourke Street Mall. The new Rydges flagship property will feature:
- 370 completely renovated rooms.
- 3 different accommodation types including 310 standard king rooms, 35 suites and the addition of 25 apartments. The new Rydges apartments include kitchenettes, laundry, separate lounge/dining room and spacious bathrooms, catering to the needs of the bleisure traveler.
- All rooms feature the renowned signature Rydges DreamBeds to ensure guests have everything they need for a good night’s sleep.
- The property boasts one of Melbourne’s largest conference and event venues following the addition of nine newly created spaces, spanning 1,500 square meters over two levels. Additional spaces include a great room that can be converted into three smaller spaces that open to the newly created Rooftop Terrace, a spacious outdoor area overlooking Her Majesty’s Theater and Chinatown, providing an entertaining space Brand new to Melbourne. In addition, the location features an impressive ballroom with 22-foot high ceilings and state-of-the-art AV technology, perfect for any occasion, from a cocktail party to a gala dinner.
- A new signature restaurant inspired by the hotel’s location within Melbourne’s theater district and celebrating the theater of food.
Each element of Rydges Melbourne’s transformation is focused on better maximizing the property by creating new space in previously underused areas and responding to guest needs.
The Rydges group’s brand positioning is ‘refreshingly local’ and to better interpret this, the EVT design team, in collaboration with Luchetti Krelle architects, focused on elements that truly reflect the brand’s philosophy. The interior’s textures and tones are calm and naturally Australian. The property retains its modernist exterior, while having interior and social spaces that take advantage of an abundance of natural light with cool, light wood walls, natural stone floors, and tapered ceilings culminating in features that draw your gaze skyward. , along with locally made custom light fixtures. .
True to the Rydges brand, the artwork in the public areas, rooms and hallways have an effortless rawness and celebrate the best of local talent. Interior designer Janet Graham spent many months researching and engaging with the local Victorian art community to compile a long list of mixed media artist works to enhance the local guest experience.
Jane Hastings, EVT’s CEO, commented: “This is a key city asset in EVT’s property portfolio and, in transforming the property, we wanted to ensure we could unlock value in previously underused spaces and better reflect the new Rydges brand management as truly local. The legendary Bobby McGees, which closed last year, has been converted into a stunning ballroom with 23-foot ceilings. New additional conference spaces opening onto a spacious terrace, previously an unused low-level roof terrace. The new Rydges Apartments reflect the needs of today’s travelers. We can’t wait to welcome clients to the property in the new year.”
Rydges’ property portfolio continues to grow with 44 properties in Australia and New Zealand. Rydges are known for a refreshing local experience and a genuine, down-to-earth style of service.
“Rydges Melbourne will be our flagship location and a destination in its own right. The experience has been designed to meet the needs of the modern traveler by offering all three types of accommodations, best-in-class food and beverage experiences with truly differentiated conference and event spaces. The Rydges Melbourne team is a great team of talent, led by Lee Davey, and reflects who we are, focused on creating memorable guest experiences in genuine down-to-earth Aussie flair,” said Norman Arundel, COO EVT hotels.
Rydges Melbourne is now on sale for bookings from June 2023, starting at $270 per night.