Former President Trump shared his efforts to return to the social media platform Facebook, saying in an interview that his ban on the social media platform was a “big business mistake.”
Trump confirmed his latest push in an interview with Fox News published Wednesday, claiming that the social media platform, owned by Meta Inc., has lost $700 billion since it was banned.
“If they would take us back, it would help them a lot, and that’s fine with me,” Trump told Fox News. “But they need us more than we need them.”
Trump also told the news outlet that various social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram made a “big business mistake” by banning it.
Trump was banned from using Twitter and Facebook a day after the January 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol, where a mob of his supporters stormed the building in an effort to stop the certification of election results from 2020. Prior to his suspension, Trump and officials in his administration had been consistently spreading misinformation about the 2020 election results, claiming they had stolen the election from the former president.
“It has been considered a huge business mistake by them, Twitter and others,” Trump added.
This comes as the Trump campaign sent Meta a letter on Tuesday, asking the company to unblock Trump’s Facebook account while he pursues another run for the White House.
Trump, who is facing a series of legal battles and federal investigations against him and his company, announced his third run for president at his Mar-a-Lago estate in November.
“We believe that the ban on President Trump’s Facebook account has dramatically distorted and inhibited public discourse,” the Trump campaign wrote in their letter.
Twitter, under his regime led by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, reinstated Trump’s account in November after a nearly two-year suspension from the platform.
Since the ban, Trump has created his own social media platform, Truth Social, where he has amassed as many as 4.8 million followers.