Bostonians were in the mood for fiction in 2022.
The Boston Public Librarythe titles of the top 10 most borrowed books by library patrons in the past year, both in print and digital copies, and the list is dominated by a wide range of works of fiction.
“The most borrowed titles of 2022 cover a wide variety of genres, with both romance and science fiction represented this year,” Melissa Andrews, the library’s head of collections management, said in a statement. “This is a remarkable departure from the memoirs and thrillers that have been more popular in recent years. Social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram have become an important place for readers to discover, share, and expand titles and authors, and a place where those readers rediscover libraries as a free and accessible way to find these trending reads. . ”
Topping the list is the 2020 novel.by Matt Haig, which tells the story of a library that exists between life and death where the books on its shelves reveal to those who arrive among their stacks all the ways you have lived and all the paths you could have taken in your life . .
The novel is a new arrival to the Boston Public Library’s most viewed list. In fact, all but one of the most borrowed titles for 2022 are newcomers to the top 10 in recent years. Brit Bennett’s “The Vanishing Half,” released in 2020, ranked No. 7 this year, taking its place.
In particular, an author with local ties is represented in the top 10 with two of his novels. Active native and Emerson College graduate Taylor Jenkins Reid’s “Malibu Rising” was the library’s third most checked-out book in 2022, while her previous novel, “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo,” ranked eighth .
Next, the headquarters libraryof the most borrowed books of 2022:
- by Matt Haig (2020) — Borrowed 6,389 times
- by Laura Dave (2021) — Borrowed 4,948 times
- by Taylor Jenkins Reid (2021) — Borrowed 4,667 times
- by Fredrik Backman (2020) — Borrowed 4,233 times
- by Kristin Hannah (2021) — Borrowed 4,044 times
- by Emily Henry (2021) — Borrowed 3,909 times
- by Brit Bennett (2020) — Borrowed 3,561 times
- by Taylor Jenkins Reid (2017) —Borrowed 3,528 times
- by VE Schwab (2020) — Borrowed 3,329 times
- by Lori Gottleib (2019) — Borrowed 2,917 times
Stay up to date at the Book Club
Catch up on the latest picks from the Boston.com Book Club and join virtual author discussions.